Browse "Districts and municipalities"

Displaying 1-20 of 119 results
Article

100 Mile House

100 Mile House, British Columbia, incorporated as a district municipality in 1991, population 1,980 (2016 census), 1,886 (2011 census). The district of 100 Mile House is located in the South Cariboo region of south-central British Columbia on Highway 97. It is 456 km northeast of Vancouver.

Article

Acadia

Acadia is a land deeply imbued with history. Its present status is that of a minority, a "country" with vague outlines but a vigorous spirit. Its territorial origin follows the French colonial efforts in the early 17th century. The first permanent agricultural settlements in what is now Canada occurred there.

Article

Acton Vale

Known as La porte de l'Estrie (Door to the Eastern Townships), Acton Vale is the county seat of the regional municipality of Acton. Its main employer is Peerless Carpets. The town's cultural life is centered on the old Grand Trunk railway station, now a tourist information bureau and art gallery.

Article

Alma

Born of the lumber industry in 1860, Alma quickly became a prosperous agricultural parish. It burst into the industrial age in 1923 with the start of construction of the Isle-Maligne hydro station on the Grande Décharge.

Article

Crowsnest Pass (Alta)

Crowsnest Pass, Alta, incorporated as a municipality in 2008, population 5565 (2011c), 6261 (2006c). The Municipality of Crowsnest Pass is located 269 km southwest of Calgary in the historic CROWSNEST PASS through the Rocky Mountains. The municipality takes its name from a prominent nearby mountain.

Article

St Andrews (Man)

St Andrews, Manitoba, incorporated as a rural municipality in 1880, population 11 875 (2011c), 11 359 (2006c). The Rural Municipality of St Andrews stretches from a boundary 8 km north of WINNIPEG to Winnipeg Beach and Netley Marsh at the southern tip of Lake Winnipeg.

Article

Arthabaska

The founder of Arthabaska, Charles Beauchesne, arrived in 1834 and was impressed by the size of the trees and quality of the soil. The first industries were potash and maple-sugar production.

Article

Assiniboia

Assiniboia is a name derived from the Assiniboine, an Indigenous people. The name Assiniboia applied to two political units in the 19th century. The first was a district centred on the forks of the Red and Assiniboine rivers — which became the site of the Red River Resistance (1869–70) — forerunner to the province of Manitoba. The second was a provisional district of the ever-changing North-West Territories (1870–1905). Two political constituencies (one federal and one Manitoban), a rural municipality (in Manitoba), and a town (in Saskatchewan) have also been called Assiniboia.

Article

Pointe-au-Père

In 1663, the Jesuit priest Henri Nouvel landed on the south bank of the St Lawrence River and conducted the first mass. In 1696 this territory was the seigneurie de Lessard, granted to Pierre Lessard and Barbe Fortin, his wife.

Article

Aylmer (Qué)

Aylmer, Qué, Sector, pop 41 532 (2006c), 36 085 (2001c). Aylmer is located on Lac Deschênes on the Ottawa River and was a city from 1975-2002 before it merged with 4 other cities to form the new city of Gatineau.

Article

Barrington

Barrington, NS, Unincorporated Place. Barrington, a small community within the municipal district of Barrington (incorporated in 1879), is located on the southwestern tip of Nova Scotia.

Article

Glace Bay

Glace Bay, NS, Urban Community. Glace Bay is a community located on the east coast of CAPE BRETON ISLAND.

Article

Oak Bay

Oak Bay, incorporated as a district municipality in 1906, population 18 015 (2011c), 17 908 (2006c). The District of Oak Bay is located on the southeast corner of VANCOUVER ISLAND, adjoining the city of VICTORIA. It is surrounded by JUAN DE FUCA STRAIT on the south and Haro Strait on the east.

Article

Delta (BC)

Delta, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1879, population 99 863 (2011c), 96 635 (2006c). The Corporation of Delta is located in the southern part of Metro VANCOUVER - south of the FRASER RIVER, west of the city of SURREY and touching the US border.

Article

Ucluelet (BC)

Ucluelet, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1997, population 1627 (2011c), 1487 (2006c). The District of Ucluelet is located on the west coast of Vancouver Island, 175 km northwest of Victoria, at the entrance to Barkley Sound.

Article

Beauport

In 1634, Robert Giffard received the seigneury of Beauport from the Compagnie des cent associés. In 1698, 444 French colonists settled just east of Rivière Beauport, attracted by the flour mill and agricultural land.

Article

Lac-Beauport

In the early 1800s the territory was opened up to exploit the forest resources. By the early 1820s the area around Lac Beauport was known as Waterloo Settlement. The first settlers were of English origin. In 1853 the parish municipality of Saint-Dunstan-du-Lac-Beauport was created.

Article

Bedford

Bedford, NS, Urban Community, is situated at the head of Bedford Basin, in Halifax Regional Municipality.

Article

Beloeil

Beloeil was first opened to settlement in the first quarter of the 18th century. By 1754, all the available land had been granted.

Article

Saint-Benoît-du-Lac

  The community was founded by Dom Paul Vannier in 1912 when he acquired a farm at Point Gibraltar, a peninsula sloping down towards the lake. He and 3 other monks began farming and providing religious services.